Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dad, ca. 1960's-1980's

Dad's music was about as different from Mom's as it could possibly be. They found common ground in The Beatles, and maybe Van Morrison, but that was about it. Mom quit listening to The Beatles somewhere around Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Yellow Submarine. While she didn't find the psychedelic sound of the late 60's very appealing, my dad wholly embraced it. The local radio station was one of the best in the country, and the only one that played Rock N' Roll in the region at the time.

Some of my earlier memories are of Dad driving me along the backroads in the green Ford, listening to The Doors and Jefferson Airplane. Later, after my parents divorced, he moved a photo of Stevie Nicks from our garage to his house. Years later I would recognize her from the cover of Bella Donna. I swear, someday I will take my dad to see Stevie Nicks in concert.

In high school, he gave me several classic rock albums, including Dark Side of the Moon, The Best of Bowie, and The Best of Van Halen. When thumbed through the CDs at the store, he picked up a copy of Back in Black and said, "This is the album that killed disco." I walked out of the store with it and played it over and over.

Dad is still around, playing his Gibson, listening to his vast music collection, laughing at Coast to Coast, and watching sci-fi. But that's a story for another day, and several David Bowie albums

No comments:

Post a Comment